Tuesday 4 June 2013

Work in Process

My work glove at the end of the work
Introduction

The scheduled flight dates were based on my estimation of the amount of working days needed that was, as it turned out, optimistic. I had planned my schedule to include short working days and free time in the evenings. I took extra two days in case of unpredicted  problems or heavy rain, as had been on the couple of weeks preceding my visit. In fact,  the days were long and we often found ourselves working on site until sunset at around 10 pm. "Work In Process" documents the seven working days on site.

  Tuesday 4/6/2013 evening
Arrival to Besse et Saint Anastaise 

Beginning of journey: wake-up call at 2:00; flight at 6:00; a ride from the airport to the train station; a train from Paris to Clermont-Ferrand that took about 3.5 hours; another hour of car ride and finally, exhausted, we arrived to a nice town called Besse et Saint Anastaise or Besse in short. Besse is a beautiful medieval town. In fact, due to the intensity of the work, we barely had a chance to explored the town.
Searching the net, few weeks before my arrival, for a suitable place to arrange the construction materials of the installation, I found a promising flat with a roof, that I destined for arrangement of  the polycarbonate panels. The flat, located near the wall of the town called "Gite des Remparts", was lovely. The second floor window had a wonderful view to one of the town squares, with its cafés and restaurants, esthetic shops, and mainly, with the people walking in the alleys peacefully. Many photos of the square were taken during long sleepless hours: in the middle of the night, when I was too stressed to fall asleep, with first sun light around 5:30 am, and during day time, after  I had finished the construction.
As you can understand- that perfectly planned schedule I had in mind became somewhat of a distant memory…
Our round-the-clock work is demonstrated in the blog under "My Daily Description".

The view from my window on sleepless nights
The view from my window at 5:30, with the break of dawn
The view from my window during daylight

The view from the street, into the windows of my apartment (above the ice cream shop, second floor to the left.)

The apartment was a crucial during the preparation process. It started out as a "regular" apartment, then it turned into a architecture office, and later into a mini workshop.
The back entrance along with the polycarbonate containers 
Entrance lobby

No comments:

Post a Comment